Home to Virginia Tech and a growing number of technology-based companies, Montgomery County is an emerging hot spot for innovation, creativity and entrepreneurship. Our unique combination of assets allow for a diversity of business sectors to thrive here, including: advance manufacturing, biotech and life sciences, and software development and information technologies to name a few.
Rising Technology Hub
With a world-class university and research park, visionary entrepreneurs and an innovative workforce, our community is quickly gaining an international reputation as a high-tech hot spot.
- A “Top Tech Launching Pad” - named one of six rising technology hubs in the country (CNN Money, 2008)
- A top 50 “Best Place to Live and Launch” in the U.S. for our “mix of business advantages and lifestyle appeal” (CNN Money, 2008)
- Local technology companies have been recognized by R&D Magazine (R&D 100 Awards), Inc. Magazine (Inc. 500/5000 List), Fierce BioTech (Fierce 15 Awards), CNN Money (10 Largest Venture Capital Deals of Q2 2011 List), Virginia Chamber of Commerce (Fantastic 50 Awards) and Virginia Business (Best Places to Work in Virginia List), to name a few
- Area businesses recieved $34.5 million in Small Business Innovation Research awards in 2010 – 13th nationally (U.S. Small Business Administration)
- Strong regional technology council with over 200 member organizations (Roanoke-Blacksburg Technology Council) and active angel group with more than 30 accredited investors (460 Angels)
Talented, Innovative, Cost-Effective Workforce
With our award-winning quality of life and close proximity to numerous colleges and universities, we’ve developed one of the most educated talent pools in the country.
- 24th “Highest Percentage of STEM Occupations” in the nation (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics Occupations, 2010)
- 14th “Best Educated Technical Workforce” (Expansion Management, 2005)
- 14th “Most Educated Small Town in America” (Forbes, 2009)
- 10,000+ students graduate annually from area colleges and universities, including Virginia Tech, Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine, Radford University and New River Community College
With our lower cost of doing business, access to talent, inventory of available sites and targeted incentive programs, Montgomery County, Virginia is the place for business.
- 10th “Best Small Place for Business and Careers” (Forbes, 2010)
- A “5-Star Business Opportunity Metro” (Expansion Management, 2006)
- Virginia the “Best State for Business” in 2009, 2008, 2007 and 2006 (Forbes)
- Virginia the “Top State for Business” in 2011, 2009, and 2007 (CNBC)
Centrally located in the Mid-Atlantic region of the United States along Interstate 81, we are within a day’s drive of major markets in the Northeast, Southeast and Midwest.
- 4 hrs or less – Washington, DC (North); Charlotte, NC (South); Richmond, VA (East)
- 6 to 8 hrs – New York, NY (North); Atlanta, GA (South); Norfolk, VA (East ); Indianapolis, IN (West)
- 10 to 12 hrs – Boston, MA (North); Orlando, FL (South), Chicago, IL (West); St. Louis, MO (West)
The Roanoke Regional Airport (ROA) offers more than 50 scheduled flights daily, with nonstop service out of our region to nine major cities. Other notable airports within a reasonable drive include: Charlotte Douglas International Airport (2.5 hrs); Washington Dulles International Airport (4 hrs) and Piedmont Triad International Airport (2 hrs).
Commercial Real Estate
Search or list sites and buildings in Montgomery County-Blacksburg-Christiansburg, VA.
Questions? Contact us,
MCDED is here to help.